Commercial/Multi-Family/Industrial/Public Plumbing Permit

A separate permit is required for installation of plumbing fixtures or service connections that are not already a part of a building permit for a project. The installation of new plumbing or plumbing changes are typically included in a building permit application.

Submission of an isometric drawing is required for all commercial plumbing work. Depending on the complexity of the project, the isometric drawing is to be completed by a mechanical engineer. For simple tenant improvements and simple Part 9 buildings, an isometric drawing completed by your plumber is acceptable.

Where a registered plumber is responsible for completing the drawings and the plumbing installation, a plumbing declaration form must be completed prior to the rough-in plumbing inspection.

Fire Suppression System (Sprinklers)

A fire suppression system is required by bylaw in all new buildings and throughout the entire building where construction occurs. Exceptions from this requirement, such as for single dwelling units and detached buildings less than 100 m2, are described in the bylaw under Article 28.4.

Commercial building permits typically include installation of new sprinkler system or sprinkler changes (a separate permit is not required). Requirements for sprinkler alterations within existing spaces and for design/build sprinkler installations are described in the Sprinkler Permit Applications guide.

What information is required for the permit?

Applications must include:

And information as listed in:

Related Information

Contact Us

Building Inspections Section 250-755-4429

Last updated: February 29, 2024

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.