To find out how your property can be used, check your property’s zoning using NanaimoMap (“Zoning” layer). Once you know the zone of your property, you can review the applicable land use regulations in our Zoning Bylaw 4500, which sets out how property can be used and developed.
Part 6 General Regulations contains information on required watercourse setbacks, accessory building allowances, secondary suites, fence height, short-term rentals, home-based businesses, and more.
Have you heard about What’s Building In My Neighbourhood?
This online tool also allows you to:
- review permit history of a property;
- search and view various types of development applications submitted to the City;
- view proposed plans and related documents;
- create a customized account to receive email updates to your inbox; and
- track the application process.
If you have further questions email Current Planning staff at email@example.com or phone (250-755-4429).
Digital Application Submissions
We accept development applications electronically. If submitted electronically, hard copy submission is not necessary. Please email us to arrange a direct drop in our file-sharing site. Please note that in most cases a pre-application meeting is required prior to application submission.
Electronic submission is preferred. However, hard-copies of plans, applications and other documents can be accepted as follows:
- Drop off at SARC: Envelopes and small packages can be deposited in the drop-box located at the front doors. Contents of the drop-box will be emptied throughout the day.
- Courier: You may courier your application to the Service and Resource Centre (411 Dunsmuir Street, Nanaimo, BC V9R 0E4).
Application payments can be made by over the phone by Visa, or mailed cheque (455 Wallace Street, Nanaimo, BC V9R 5J6).
Please phone or email us with your requests for:
- a pre-application meeting;
- form & character inspections for Development Permits;
- to arrange for payment.
Depending on the location of your property and the type of development proposed, you may need to apply for one or more of these development applications: