Requesting a Proclamation from Mayor and Council
Proclamations are a formal declaration, supported by Council and signed by the Mayor, intended to bring public awareness and education for:
- Charitable fundraising campaigns
- Arts and cultural celebrations or awareness
- Multicultural awareness
- Health and public service initiatives
- Honours, remembrances or major celebrations
- Special anniversaries for non-profit organizations that benefit communities
Council recognizes that an official proclamation made by the Mayor and Council can promote and enhance the credibility of a cause, and affirms the Municipality’s support.
Requests for a proclamation must be in writing, can be submitted via mail or complete online submission, and must include:
- Contact person’s name, address, phone number
- A brief summary and/or background of the event
- The name, date(s), week, month, of event to be proclaimed
- Proposed text for the proclamation, including “Whereas” clauses that provides context to the topic (subject to editing or rewriting at the discretion of the City of Nanaimo)
- Date when the proclamation is required (minimum of two weeks’ notice is requested)
- The City reserves the right to decline any request
To Make a Request
Complete the online form at least two weeks in advance of the date the document is required or mail your request to City of Nanaimo (Mayor and Council Office) 455 Wallace Street, Nanaimo, BC V9R 5J6.
If approved by Mayor and Council, the Proclamation will be sent by PDF format to the email address provided. The original can be mailed or picked up at City Hall, based on your preference indicated on the form.
View other proclamations here
Bastion Lighting Requests
If requiring the lighting of the Bastion please complete the online Bastion Lighting in Various Colours form.
Any questions or concerns please contact the Administrative Assistant to Mayor & Council.