Agricultural Land Reserve Applications
Some properties within Nanaimo City Limits are located within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR).
The purpose of the ALR is to preserve agricultural land in the province. The ALR supersedes local zoning and regulates or prohibits non-agricultural land uses.
An application to the Agricultural Land Commission is required for any of the following activities:
- Include land in the ALR
- Exclude land from the ALR
- Subdivide land within the ALR
- Conduct a Non-Farm Use within the ALR
- Transportation, Utility, or Recreational Trail Uses within the ALR
- Place fill and/or remove fill on ALR land for a non-farm use activity
All ALR applications should be submitted online directly to the Agricultural Land Commission.
Find application forms and information about the ALR at the Agricultural Land Commission website.