Automated Waste Collection Services
The City of Nanaimo collects garbage, recycling and organics from single family properties and eligible multi-family dwellings (duplexes, triplexes & fourplexes).
Curbside Collection Basics
Please note, we do not collect waste from apartment buildings, stratas or mobile home parks. Talk to your building manager about this service.
Carts are the property of the City of Nanaimo and must be left at the property in the event a resident moves.
Tips for a Successful Pickup
On your scheduled day of collection, make sure your carts are accessible by following the guidelines below.
- SORT your waste correctly
- PLACE carts out for collection by 8:00 a.m. on your collection day
- SPACE carts 1 metre apart
- Place your carts 1 metre (3 feet) apart from each other
- Keep your cart 1 metre away from other barriers like cars, poles and utility boxes
- Ensure there is a 3 metre clearance from overhanging obstacles
- POINT carts so the lid opens into the street
- Arrows on top of the lids point towards the middle of the street
- Make sure the lids are completely closed
- AVOID obstructing sidewalks with your carts
- Carts should be placed as close to the roadway as possible, without blocking traffic, sidewalks, cycling lanes or roadways
The carts are lifted into the truck by mechanical arms, which have limited reach and require space around the carts to lift safely.