Organizations, groups, or clubs wishing to close City streets and/or sidewalks to accommodate their special event are required to apply for a permit. Whether you are planning a parade, running event, display, etc. the process of approving an application is as follows:
*NEW in 2022 - All road use, events, & road closures require the applicant to hire Traffic Control Persons (TCP) and source barricades as required. This is a change in procedure to previous years
- Submit a completed application form, including checklist, to the City of Nanaimo Engineering Department a minimum of 6 weeks prior to your event.
The Special Event and Road Closure Application Checklist is part of your application and outlines the items required. Also complete the Block Party Neighbourhood form if you plan to host a block party. (Block Party Kits not available at this time).
- Certain maps are required as part of the application form and can be found on the City’s website for download and markup. You can also create a markup using pen to paper and then we will create a better map.
- The City will contact various stakeholders that need to be aware of your event. These stakeholders will identify any concerns they may have regarding your event. The City may opt to hold a stakeholders meeting in which you can address any issues. All concerns will need to be remedied before your event may take place.
- Public notification (including hand-delivered notices to affected residents and businesses and placement of an advertisement in local papers) will also be required.
- Proof of liability insurance naming the City of Nanaimo as Additional Insured is a mandatory requirement that needs to be in place prior to your event being held. The City of Nanaimo will determine the amount of liability insurance required.
- Organizations may also be required to provide bonding for traffic control and sanitation/garbage collection.
- Organizers will be responsible for the approval of private property use.
The requirements and application forms can be found below: