How to Receive Your Home Energy Assessment Rebate
There are two Home Energy Assessment incentive types available to residents:
|Incentive||Eligibility||Documentation and where to apply|
|$150 Initial Home Energy Assessment incentive||A $150 incentive is available to homeowners who have an initial Home Energy Assessment conducted by a certified energy advisor. For new construction, the initial assessment can be done at the building design stage. The completed application must be submitted to the City of Nanaimo within the 12 month period after the date shown on the receipt||· Apply Online Here (City of Nanaimo)|
|$200 Follow-up Home Energy Assessment incentive||Follow-up Assessments are eligible for $10 per 5 GJ/year reduction on the EnerGuide rating scale, to a maximum of $200. ||· The follow-up Home Energy Assessment report showing the new EnerGuide rating|
· The initial Home Energy Assessment (if not already submitted to the City of Nanaimo);
· Receipt for the follow-up Home Energy Assessment
· Apply Online Here
Submissions can also be made by mail or in person at the Service and Resource Building (411 Dunsmuir Street):
Contact a licensed Service Organization who will send an Energy Advisor to conduct your home assessment. An Energuide home energy assessment typically costs $400 - $500 for an existing home and $475 - $700 for a new home, depending on size.
Book an Energuide Home Energy Assessment Now
The energy advisor will spend 2 to 3 hours during their assessment. For existing homes, they may ask about issues you may be having with your home and any renovation plans and priorities for improving your home. With this information, they will complete a comprehensive assessment of your home's insulation, heating system, air leakage, and much more. For new construction, design drawings and plans can be provided to the energy advisor, who will review the designs and make recommendations on improving the Energuide rating for the home.
The energy advisor will assign an Energuide rating for your home along with recommendations for improvements that are customized to your home. Along with your Energuide rating and label, you will receive a Homeowner Information Sheet and Energy Renovation Report.
Terms & Conditions
- Incentives are available to residents working on projects in the City of Nanaimo
- Incentives are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Assessments need to be submitted no later than 4 weeks after completion.
- Only one application per property.
- It is the participant's responsibility to provide all receipts and reports to the City.
- The City may verify information provided by contacting the energy advisor before issuing a rebate.
- The City reserves the right to refuse applications that are incomplete, inaccurate, or otherwise do not the meet the programs requirements.
- The City does not endorse any the services of any contractor, nor any specific products, and accepts no liability in the selection of materials, products, and contractor's performance or workmanship.
- It is the participant's responsibility to meet all program requirements and comply with any laws, regulations, or bylaws regarding permits, codes, restrictions, or inspections in relation to appliances, products, or equipment installed.
- Energy assessors must have a valid City of Nanaimo business licence in order to participate. More information is available at: https://www.nanaimo.ca/doing-business/business-licences/getting-a-business-licence.
- The Home Energy Assessment Rebate Program may be amended, modified, or terminated based on funding limitations, or for any other reason, without notice.