Subdivision News & Updates
New Charges: School Site Acquisition Charges
- School Site Acquisition Charges are charges collected by local governments and transferred to school boards to help them purchase land for new or expanded school sites.
- The Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools has adopted a bylaw requiring the City of Nanaimo to collect School Site Acquisition Charges for new residential development.
- The School Site Acquisition Charge will be collected by the City of Nanaimo at Subdivision Approval for single residential developments. Once collected, funds will then be transferred to the Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools.
- The School Site Acquisition Charge will be reduced or waived for eligible developments such as not-for-profit rental housing.
The School District adopted their School Site Acquisition Charge Bylaw on Wednesday, March 23, 2022. As such:
- SSACs are payable at Final Approval of a subdivision.
- SSACs will be reduced or waived in an amount equivalent to any DCC reduction or waiver.
- Any complete application submitted before 4:30pm on Friday, May 20, 2022 will have one year of protection from payment of SSACs. New subdivision applications submitted after that will be required to pay SSACs.
SSAC Rates are calculated based on density, as per the following:
|School Site Acquisition Charge (SSAC) Rates - $ per unit |
|Low ||$1,000 |
|(<21 units per hectare) |
|Medium Low ||$900 |
|(21 – 50 units per hectare) |
|Medium ||$800 |
|(51 – 125 units per hectare) |
|Medium High ||$700 |
|(126 – 200 units per hectare) |
|High ||$600 |
|(>200 units per hectare) |