Garbage (Black Cart)
- Black garbage carts are collected every two weeks
- Green organics carts are collected weekly
- Blue recyclable carts are picked up on alternating weeks with your black cart
Remember to place your carts at the curbside by 8 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
*Ensure carts are not too full so that the lids can close.
Check your “Collection Calendar” to confirm your collection schedule.
Not sure where an item belongs? Check the “What Goes Where” wizard.
Items you can't put in the garbage
- Oils or oil filters
- Rocks, dirt or sod
- Animal carcasses
- Pharmaceuticals and medications
- Mattresses and box springs
- Food scraps and yard waste
- Trade or industrial waste
- Car parts, batteries or tires
- Paint, solvents and other hazardous materials
- Particulate waste (unwrapped ashes and sawdust)
- Uncontained liquids
- Product stewardship (take-back) items
- Biomedical and pathological waste
- Oversized items of any kind larger than 2 feet in any dimension
What is garbage anyway?
My family has too much garbage. What can I do?
Are you certain everything you are sorting into your garbage is truly garbage? Many household items that are not accepted in your carts should be taken to your local recycling drop-off depots.
Check out these facilities and the materials they accept here or download our app and search the “What Goes Where” wizard. Click here for Cart Exchange Options.
What are Nanaimo’s waste diversion goals?
- Divert 75% of residential waste by 2020
- Landfill - zero kitchen waste, yard waste and recyclables
Last updated: November 5, 2018