Garbage (Black Cart)
COVID-19 Advisory - Please follow Safe Waste practices by securely bagging and disposing the following items in the garbage (Black Cart):
- Cleaning cloths and disposable wipes - even those listed as flushable/compostable
- Used Kleenex
- Personal hygiene products
- Face masks & gloves
- Any other similar sanitary items
Remember to place your carts at the curbside by 8 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Read more Cart Placement guidelines here. Check your “Collection Calendar” to confirm your collection schedule.
Items you can't put in the garbage:
- Oils or oil filters
- Rocks, dirt or sod
- Animal carcasses
- Pharmaceuticals and medications
- Mattresses and box springs
- Food scraps and yard waste
- Trade or industrial waste
- Car parts, batteries or tires
- Paint, solvents and other hazardous materials
- Particulate waste (unwrapped ashes and sawdust)
- Uncontained liquids
- Product stewardship (take-back) items
- Biomedical and pathological waste
- Oversized items of any kind larger than 2 feet in any dimension
What is garbage anyway?
My family has too much garbage. What can I do?
Are you certain everything you are sorting into your garbage is truly garbage? Many household items that are not accepted in your carts should be taken to your local recycling drop-off depots.
Check out these facilities and the materials they accept here or download our app and search the “What Goes Where” wizard. Click here for Cart Exchange Options.
Last updated: October 13, 2020