Accessory Building Permit

A building permit is required when you are constructing a new accessory building. This can include detached garages, sheds, and other standalone buildings over 10m² (107.64 ft²).

Information on constructing a carriage house can be viewed on the Carriage House page.

What information is required for the permit?

Applications must include the following:

and documents as listed in:

Can I place a fabric-covered shed on my property?

Yes, see Zoning Bylaw 4500 for more information.

Can I place a shipping container on my property?

Please visit the Locate Permit page for information.

Contact Us

Building Inspections Section 250-755-4429

Last updated: August 18, 2023

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.