Carriage House Permit

A building permit is required when you are constructing a new carriage house or altering an existing accessory building. You may find many of your questions for such a project can be answered in our Secondary Suite Guide.

What information is required for the permit?

Applications must include the following:

and documents as listed in

Are you wondering what the benefits of constructing a carriage house would be or even what one would look like? This locally-produced news segment on Nanaimo-area carriage houses may interest you.

Secondary suites in single family dwelling guides

Contact Us

Building Inspections Section 250-755-4429

Last updated: April 26, 2023

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.