About the Land and Building
Lot Size & Area
The former City Hall Annex was located at 238 Franklyn Street, in the Old City Neighbourhood of downtown Nanaimo. The land is an irregular shaped lot with frontage on Franklyn Street of approximately 54.3m (178.2ft and frontage on Wallace Street of approximately 48.8m (160.1ft). The total site comprises approximately 2,160m2 (23,250 sq ft).
Zoning – DT2, which allows various residential, office and commercial uses;
Former Building Area: 36,000 sq ft over 3 floors
Purchase Price: $1.55 million in 1999
About the Former Building
The building was a former distribution warehouse (formerly Kelly Douglas Foods), which under went various additions and renovations and was comprised of a three storey office building. The property included approximately 592 m2 of asphalt paving for 18 vehicles on the north side of the property.
The original warehouse structure was constructed as a two storey building in 1937 by Dominion Construction. A single storey addition was added in 1954 to the west side of the building and a third storey was added in 1978. The warehouse was renovated to an office complex between 1978 and 1981. Periodic interior remodelling, minor renovations, and exterior upgrades occurred during the past 30 years.