In this special edition of My Nanaimo This Week, we provide you with information on the City's role in responding to COVID-19.
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is a health matter which is overseen by the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia. For this reason, the City of Nanaimo gets its direction and information from the Government of Canada, provincial government, BC Medical Health Officer and the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC).
Information and resources from the federal government can be found on their COVID-19 information page and information and resources from the province can be found on their COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information page.
Find more information about the City's response on the COVID-19 information page.
Stop the spread!
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eye, nose and mouth.
- Cover your cough using the bend of your elbow or a tissue.
- Stay at home. If you do have to go out, only go out if you are well and are practicing physical distancing by maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from others. Watch this video to see what physical distancing means.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
A message from the Mayor
Open for business
Our doors may be closed, but we are open for business. With the exception of Parks, Recreation and Culture programming, drop-in sports, playgrounds and sport courts, City services and operations continue to run. The services which you may have come to City Hall or the Service and Resource Centre for can be accessed online or by phone. Check out our Online Services page to find what you need or give us a call:
General Inquiries - 250-754-4251
- Parks, Recreation and Culture - 250-756-5200
- Public Works - 250-758-5222
Practice safe recycling/waste disposal
These are challenging times, and we recognize your household’s curbside waste volumes may be affected. All households are encouraged to follow good waste management practices: properly sorting recyclables and organics, rinsing recyclable containers so they are free of food residue and saving space by flattening cardboard boxes and other bulky recyclables.
Please help keep sanitation workers safe by following Safe Waste procedures and securely bagging and throwing the following items in the garbage:
- Cleaning cloths and disposable wipes - even those listed as flushable/compostable
- Used Kleenex
- Personal hygiene products
- Face masks & gloves
- Any other similar items
Visit the City’s Garbage/Recycling page for the latest information and FAQs on garbage and recycling. Use the tools available on the Nanaimo Recycles app available for free download from the App Store and Google Play as well on the Garbage and Recycling Calendar page.
Practice health and well-being virtually
Our recreation coordinators understand how important it is to stay active and connected especially during times of social isolation. To bring some fun to the community, coordinators have launched some fun campaigns through the @nanaimoparksandrec Instagram feed including a Wellness Bingo, #isolationrecreation ideas, a scavenger hunt and a #harbourcityphotochallenge. Check it out to discover some fun ways to stay active while social distancing.
This week’s Council and Committee Meetings
All committee meetings have been cancelled until further notice.
A Special Council meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 1. You can watch it virtually on the City website.
The next Council meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 6.
Visit the Meetings, Documents and Videos page on the City website to view upcoming meetings, agendas and past meeting videos or visit the Council Meeting Summaries page to read a recap of decisions made in previous meetings.
Here's a recap of City news from March 15 to 29:
- Port Theatre Expansion Not Selected for Funding
- March 23, 2020 COVID-19 Update from Parks, Recreation and Culture
- Statement from the City of Nanaimo Regarding Playgrounds
- March 21, 2020 COVID-19 Update from Parks, Recreation and Culture
- March 20, 2020 COVID-19 Update from Nanaimo Fire Rescue
- March 19, 2020 Update from Parks, Recreation and Culture (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 COVID-19 update - City open for business, closed to public access
- March 17 COVID-19 Update – Task Force and Committee Meetings Postponed
- March 16, 2020 COVID-19 update - Recreation facilities to close