Fire & Rescue
Working smoke alarms save lives . . . test yours monthly.
Effective at 12:00 noon on Thursday, June 8, 2023 the City of Nanaimo will be prohibiting open fires.
With hotter weather comes an increased risk of fire spreading quickly. It is important for residents to be vigilant in fire safety and to report all fires immediately by calling 911.
The following devices are permitted for cooking and heating: cooking devices fuelled by propane, natural gas, naphtha, kerosene, charcoal briquettes or electricity such as barbecues, grills, smokers or portable or fixed devices. Ensure that barbecue briquettes are fully extinguished after use.
Park and trail users are reminded that smoking and fires are not permitted in City parks or on City trails.
We've implemented a new phone system for the non-emergency Fire Department line (250-753-7311). It is very important to listen to the entire message to know which number to press to receive the help you need.
- General Inquiries and Fire Administration - press 1
- Fire Dispatch - press 2 - this is for non-emergency calls such as burning complaints, fire alarm testing, public assistance calls and smoke alarm issues
- Fire Loss Prevention - press 3 - this is for inquiries on burning regulations, inspections, business licences and building finals
- VIERA (Vancouver Island Emergency Response Academy) - press 4 - fire training questions
- Media requests - press 5 - for calls from media personnel