Overnight House Fire started in Bathroom

Interconnected Smoke alarm alerts tenants to act on an incipient fire


On Wednesday night working smoke alarms alerted tenants to an accidental fire started in a bathroom on Bowen Rd. Two occupants escaped the fire and quick action with extinguishers and removal of the object on fire saved the home. The occupants were temporarily displaced from a basement suite as a result of the fire. The home is insured however the renters in the suite do not have any type of insurance.

Link to Strategic Plan: Smoke alarms enhance community safety and increase the livability of our city.

Key Points

  • Working smoke alarms save lives and property
  • Improperly extinguished cigarettes are among the top 3 causes of fires.
  • Nanaimo Fire Rescue recommends all citizens look at purchasing home and/or tenant insurance.


"Early warning from a smoke alarm resulted in quick action by the tenants to extinguish an incipient fire in a rental home."

Fire Prevention Officer
Nanaimo Fire Rescue

Quick Facts

  • Improperly extinguished cigarettes are one of the top 3 causes of fire.
  • Many renters do not have adequate insurance to cover accidental loss.
  • Working smoke alarms helped to alert the household to evacuate and extinguish the fire.


Alan Millbank
Fire Prevention Officer
Nanaimo Fire Rescue

Print News Release

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.
Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at foi@nanaimo.ca. Please also see our Privacy Policy.