In 2018, Nanaimo City Council endorsed the Nanaimo Affordable Housing Strategy (AHS). The AHS recommends the following actions to support the development of Family Friendly Housing in the city:
- Complete market research analysis to understand the cost implications of requiring an increased proportion of 2 and 3 bedroom units in new multi-unit residential developments, including both rental and ownership housing.
- Consult with the development community and non-profit housing sector regarding the proposed incentive program.
- Develop a specific policy on family-friendly housing to encourage new multi-unit developments to provide a minimum percentage of 2 and 3 bedroom units.
- Provide incentives for developments that provide a greater proportion of units that are 2 and 3 bedrooms. For example, where a project included 20% of units as 2 and 3 bedrooms, then the additional incentive would apply.
- Ensure the parking requirements for family-friendly housing reflect access to frequent transit service and that there be access to local amenities such as parks, playgrounds, and schools.
- Provide guidelines or suggestions to developers in terms of family-friendly design, space programming, and availability of amenities.