Animals in the City

*New: Animals in Nanaimo, such as dogs and livestock, are now regulated by the Animal Responsibility Bylaw. Learn some quick facts about the bylaw and information on related contacts by downloading the Animal Responsibility Bylaw Brochure

In addition to the new bylaw, Council approved a Promise to Return Policy where seizure and impound fees will be waived until January 1, 2023 for any cat that is impounded in violation of Section 41 or 47 of the “Animal Responsibility Bylaw 2021 No. 7316” subject to the cat being sterilized and having identification.

If you need a licence for your dog, see Getting a Dog Licence.

Nanaimo has a number of Off-Leash Dog Parks to enjoy. 

Nanaimo Animal Control

Located at 1260 Nanaimo Lakes Road, the Nanaimo Animal Control officers enforce the Animal Control Bylaw as well as operate the Pound & Adoption Centre for the City of Nanaimo.

To report an incident occurring in the City of Nanaimo please call 250-616-0233.  For after hours emergencies listen to the recorded message for instructions

For animal control in the Regional District of Nanaimo please call Coastal Animal Services at 1-888-754-1397

For more information regarding animals within the City of Nanaimo, please visit their website at Nanaimo Animal Control

Frequently Asked Questions

Chickens/Ducks - How many am I allowed to have on my property?
When a dog defecates in a park or on a boulevard, is the owner required to remove the feces?
Are there care standards for dogs and other animals?
Where do I obtain emergency veterinarian service?
What do I do if I witness an animal being abused?
Who do I contact regarding dead animals?
Should pets be spayed or neutered?
Should I have my dog on a leash?
What is the most common problem with marine animals?
What is the most common problem with wildlife?

Expand all

Collapse all

Cruelty to Animals Contact

BC SPCA Cruelty Hotline

Barking Complaints Contact

Nanaimo Animal Control 

Wild Animals Contacts

Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection 2080A Labieux Road, Nanaimo, British Columbia
250-751-3100 or 1-800-663-9453 (Emergency Only)

Fisheries and Oceans Fisheries Research Branch, Pacific Biological Station 3190 Hammond Bay Road, Nanaimo, British Columbia

Nanaimo RCMP Detachment 303 Prideaux Street, Nanaimo, British Columbia
250-754-2345 (Non-Emergency)

Last updated: February 29, 2024

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.