Updates Regarding 2020 Property Taxes
You can pay your property taxes using one of the following methods:
- through your financial institution - online, telephone or in-person banking;
- dropping off a cheque payment in the drop box located outside the Service and Resource Centre (411 Dunsmuir Street);
- by mailing a cheque payment using the postage-paid return envelope included in the tax notice package;
- in person at the Service & Resource Centre (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
To ensure the safety of staff and residents at the pop up tax office, a number of measures will be in place including physical distancing signage and markings as well as staff to ensure these measures are maintained. Anyone who is not feeling well should stay home and only one person per household may visit the office at any one time.
Please note: due to COVID-19 safety protocols, only debit and cheques will be accepted as payment.
Property tax payments are due on July 2, 2020 and those who have the financial ability are encouraged to pay by the due date. However, to ease some pressure for those financially impacted by the pandemic, the penalty date for late tax payments has been extended. A 5% penalty has been added to outstanding current balances. Any outstanding current balances not paid by end of day November 10th will be levied a second penalty of 5%.
Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions
The Relationship Between Property Assessments and Property Taxes
A significant increase in your assessment does not necessarily mean a significant increase in your property taxes.The important factor is how your assessed value changed relative to the average change for your property class.
- The average increase in assessed value for a single family residence in 2020 was 1.69% due to market change.
- If your property increased in value greater than the market change of 1.69%, you will likely see an increase in your municipal taxes of greater than 4.5%
- If you property increased in value was equal to the market change of 1.69% than you municipal taxes will likely increase at the average for 2020 of 4.5%
- If your property increased in value less than the market change of 1.69% you will likely see an increase in your municipal taxes of less than 4.5%
Request Property Tax Notice
Property tax notices are usually mailed at the end of May. If you did not receive your Property Tax Notice, please contact the Finance Department 250-755-4415 or email@example.com.
If you are registered for MyCity, you can view your property tax notice online. You can also change your billing preference with MyCity to receive your notice by email. Need a MyCity account? Register now.
Property taxes are due regardless of whether you received a property tax notice.
Consequences of unpaid taxes
Taxes unpaid by the due date (the first working day in July) are subject to a 5% penalty, and an additional 5% is levied on the second Thursday in August. Any remaining balance outstanding as of January 1 will accrue interest daily.
2020 Penalty dates have been changed to a 5% penalty end of day Sep 30, 2020 and a 5% penalty end of day November 10, 2020.
If you do not pay your taxes for three consecutive years, your property will be sold at the City’s Annual Tax Sale held on the last Monday of September.
The Province of British Columbia also offers options to defer your property taxes. For more information click Property Tax Deferment
2020 Tax Rates
Property Tax Classes & Rates
Class 01 - Residential: 7.1152 (up 0.2147 from 2019 which was 6.9005)
Class 02 - Utilities: 58.1077 (up 0.7609 from 2019 which was 57.3468)
Class 03 - Supportive Housing: 5.5222 (up 0.1669 from 2019 which was 5.3553)
Class 04 - Major Industry: 16.8455 (down 1.2823 from 2019 which was 18.1278)
Class 05 - Light Industry: 17.5327 (down 2.4403 from 2019 which was 19.9730)
Class 06 - Business/Other: 16.9505 (down 2.4345 from 2019 which was 19.3850)
Class 07 - Managed Forest Land: 22.2230 (down 1.2926 from 2019 which was 23.5156)
Class 08 - Recreational/Non-Profit: 11.2137 (down 1.6813 from 2019 which was 12.8950)
Class 09 - Farm (Land): 4.7791 (up 0.0261 from 2019 which was 4.7530)