Getting a Dog Licence
Dogs older than 12 weeks need a licence in the City. Licences cost $30 each, or $25 if you purchase before February 28th. If you have just moved to Nanaimo or have a new dog after July 1, licences cost $20.
You can get a new dog licence in person at these locations:
- Service and Resource Centre (411 Dunsmuir Street, Nanaimo)
- Oliver Woods Community Centre (6000 Oliver Road, Nanaimo)
- Nanaimo Animal Shelter (1260 Nanaimo Lakes Road, Nanaimo)
New licences must be picked up in person because we are unable to mail the tags.
Renewing a dog licence
You can renew your dog licence in one of 2 ways:
- Renew your dog licence online with our Online Payment System (click on "Dog Licence Renewal" in the top right corner).
- Renew your dog licence in person at the Service and Resource Centre, Oliver Woods Community Centre or the Nanaimo Animal Shelter.
Frequently asked questions
When do I require a dog licence and what are the fees?
- For every dog, the licence fee is $30.00. There is a discount of $5.00 if you pay on or before February 28th of the licensing year.
- If you become the owner of a dog after July 1st of the licensing year, the fee shall be $20.00.
- All dogs require a licence after they are 12 weeks old.
Does my dog need to wear the metal licence tag?
Yes, your dog must wear the metal licence tag on its collar or harness at all times. If your dog strays and is picked up by the City Pound, or is hit or involved in an accident, the tag will give the authorities a way to contact you.
What should I do if I lose my dog’s licence tag?
If the current tag has been lost or damaged, you can buy a replacement tag for $5.00.
Is another city’s licence valid in Nanaimo?
Yes, it is valid for the remainder of the licence year. However, we recommend a City of Nanaimo tag replacement at $5.00 as soon as you move to Nanaimo.