Noise Bylaw

Please be respectful of your neighbors, and keep noise emissions to a reasonable level.   Nanaimo’s noise bylaw prohibits making or causing sound or noise that disturbs the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the neighbourhood or persons in the vicinity.

Council has identified the following activities to be disturbances;

  • Playing or operating any radio, stereophonic equipment, television receiving set or other instrument or any apparatus for the production or amplification of sound, where the noise is audible at a point of reception in a residential area between the hours of 11:00 pm and 9:00 am the following day.

    Please note that the playing or operation of any amplified sound at a level or in a manner that unreasonably disturbs your neighbors at any time of the day is also prohibited. 

  • Erecting, demolishing, constructing, reconstructing, altering or repairing of any building or other structure within the Municipality or the excavating of any street, highway, lane or other land before 7:00 am or after 9:00 pm, Monday to Saturday and before 9:00 am or after 9:00 pm on Sundays or Statutory Holidays.

(See the Noise Bylaw for other acts considered objectionable)

Noise Control Bylaw 1994 No. 4750 

If you are subjected to excessive noise disturbances, please contact the Bylaw, Regulation and Security  at 250-755-4422 to register a complaint between 8 am and 4:30 pm weekdays.   After hours calls will be assigned to a Bylaw Enforcement Officer for investigation on the next business day.   Complaints and inquiries can also be sent to 

When to Contact Police

If at any time the noise of concern is related to an unlawful or criminal activity where there is risk of harm to any person or property, contact the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345.  In the case of an emergency, call 911. 


Certain sounds and noise emissions are excluded from the prohibitions, regulations and penalties contained in the noise bylaw, such as; the operation of emergency vehicles, warning signal devices on boats and trains, municipal and government utility companies providing services, bells from churches, certain unloading and delivery services, certain construction projects authorized by the municipality, and noises created from parades and festivals authorized by Council. 

The hours of operation of industrial zoned properties are not restricted or regulated, and the normal noise emissions arising from lawful uses of these properties, in many cases, are not prohibited. 

Animal Noise

The City of Nanaimo “Animal Responsibility Bylaw 2021 No. 7316” regulates Animals in the City.  Animal related incidents and noise from dogs should be reported to Nanaimo Animal Control Services at 250-616-0233.

Dog Noise

The Owner of a Dog must not allow or permit a Dog to bark, howl, yelp, cry or make other noises:

  • sporadically for a cumulative total of 15 or more minutes within any 60 minute period;
  • in a manner that that unduly disturbs the peace, quiet, rest, comfort or tranquility of the surrounding neighbourhood or vicinity, or of Persons in the neighbourhood or vicinity; or
  • otherwise in such a manner as to cause a Nuisance.

Other Animal Noise

Noise from Animals, other than dogs, should be reported to Bylaw, Regulation and Security at 250-755-4422 or

Special Events

Outdoor special events which will include the use of sound amplification for music, announcements, speeches or other public addresses and/or the closure of roads or sidewalks and/or located in a City park or property will require a Special Event Licence.

For further information;


Last updated: June 20, 2024

Thank you for your assistance. One of our website team will look into the reported issue shortly. Loading animation

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.