Appearing Before Nanaimo City Council
Council agendas are published on the City of Nanaimo website by 4:00 p.m. Wednesday before the meeting. Your delegation request must be received prior to 11:00 a.m. the Friday before the meeting. For further details regarding appearing as a delegation please review our webpage Appearing as a Delegation. To see when a Council meeting will be taking place, visit the Council Key Date Calendar.
Finance and Audit Committee Meetings:
Finance and Audit Committee meetings assist Council in the overseeing of finances for the City of Nanaimo. Delegation requests seeking funding or related to financial matters will be directed to the next available Finance and Audit Committee Meeting. To learn more about the Finance and Audit Committee click here.
The Hierarchy of Laws:
The hierarchy of laws applicable to municipal governments, elected officials and Staff:
- Provincial legislation such as the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Privacy Laws, Employment laws, …
- Bylaws - a form of legislation established by local government to resolve local issues. Best practices for bylaws are high level rules supplemented by guidelines so that changes can be made without going into bylaw amendments.
- Motions/Resolutions – a record of a decision or request of Council which deals with regular administrative and management matters.
- Policies – corporate direction that is formally adopted by Council resolution, providing guidance to Staff on how to implement policies.
- Guidelines - for the interpretation of a bylaw to ensure it is consistent with the relevant clause and does not override it.
How can I apply?
To appear as a delegation before Council, a Committee or a Task Force you must submit a written request to the Legislative Services Department outlining the presentation topic. Applications to Appear as a Delegation are available on our website. You can submit your delegation request online on our Appearing as a Delegation webpage, or you can click here to download the PDF form: Delegation Request Form
*All speakers on any item will be given 5 minutes to speak. A maximum of four delegations will be permitted regarding items not listed on a Council agenda. Multiple delegations from the same organization or group, regarding the same topic will be combined and have a five minute time limitation.