Appearing Before Nanaimo City Council
To appear as a delegation at a Council meeting the topic you wish to speak about must be an item already on the Council agenda. Council agendas are provided on the City of Nanaimo website at 4:00 p.m. Tuesday before the meeting. Your delegation request must be received prior to 11:00 a.m. on the Friday before the meeting. For further details regarding appearing as a delegation please review our webpage Appearing as a Delegation.
Committee of the Whole Meetings:
If the topic you wish to speak about is not an item on a Council agenda, you can request to be added as a delegation to a Committee of the Whole Agenda. Requests to appear as a delegation at a Committee of the Whole meeting must be received prior to 11:00 a.m. on the Friday 10 days before the meeting.
While attending a Council or Committee of the Whole meeting members of the public are welcome to ask questions during question period. A Question Period Form must be completed and submitted to the City Clerk at the meeting. Question Period Forms are available on our City website in advance of the meeting; however, hard copies are provided at meetings.
The Hierarchy of Laws:
The hierarchy of laws applicable to municipal governments, elected officials and Staff:
- Provincial legislation such as the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Privacy Laws, Employment laws, …
- Bylaws - a form of legislation established by local government to resolve local issues. Best practices for bylaws are high level rules supplemented by guidelines so that changes can be made without going into bylaw amendments.
- Motions/Resolutions – a record of a decision or request of Council which deals with regular administrative and management matters.
- Policies – corporate direction that is formally adopted by Council resolution, providing guidance to Staff on how to implement policies.
- Guidelines - for the interpretation of a bylaw to ensure it is consistent with the relevant clause and does not override it.
How can I apply?
- Question Period Forms must be submitted to the City Clerk during a Council or Committee of the Whole meeting. Question Period Forms are available online. Click here to download the PDF form: Question Period Form
- To appear as a delegation before Council or the Committee of the Whole you must submit a written request to the Legislative Services Department outlining the presentation topic. Applications to Appear as a Delegation at a City Council Meeting are available on our website. You can submit your delegation request online on our Appearing as a Delegation webpage, or you can click here to download the PDF form: Request to Appear as a Delegation
*Multiple speakers (more than 3) on the same topic will be given 5 minutes to speak.