How to Make a Bylaw Complaint

You may make a complaint

  1. By email to
  2. By telephone at 250-755-4422
  3. In writing to 455 Wallace Street, Nanaimo, BC  V9R 5J6


You will need to provide:  (information is kept private) 

  1. Your name, address and telephone number
  2. The address of the property you are concerned with
  3. The details of your complaint


Importance is given to more urgent matters

  1. Hazards, Safety and Health
  2. City Liability – such as, but not limited to, visibility for vehicular traffic and pedestrians
  3. Nuisances – ongoing disturbances to a neighbourhood or area
  4. Other Bylaw violations


Action That May Be Taken:  (voluntary compliance is sought prior to enforcement action) 

  1. A letter of direction may be given to remedy the situation
  2. A warning notice may be issued
  3. A ticket/fine may be issued
  4. An order to rectify the matter may be issued and if not done, the City may enter onto the property and undertake the work required at the property owner’s expense
  5. Legal action may be started


If it is determined, that a complaint is minor or vindictive in nature, has no impact on the complainant or enforcement is not in the public interest, action may not be taken.




Last updated: June 20, 2024

Thank you for your assistance. One of our website team will look into the reported issue shortly. Loading animation

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.