Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions

This applies to the majority of residential properties in Nanaimo. Certain exemptions apply.

How are my taxes calculated?

The City also collects taxes for other agencies that offer services in the City including:

  • School District
  • BC Assessment
  • Municipal Finance Authority
  • Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN)
  • Vancouver Island Regional Library
  • Parcel tax for RDN

These agencies determine a tax rate needed for their operations in a similar fashion as the City.


Your property is assessed by BC Assessment at $350,000 (the City of Nanaimo does NOT assess property values).

City Council determines the residential tax rate needed. For 2021 this rate is 7.1731 for every $1,000 assessed value.

Therefore $350,000/$1,000 x 7.1731 = $2,510.59 in Municipal taxes (plus a $20 parcel tax).

I pay my taxes through the installment plan. Do I need to do anything else?

You need to claim your Home Owner Grant (if eligible) with the Province of B.C. and pay the amount shown on your Property Tax Notice. Any outstanding balance after the first business day in July will be subject to a 1% penalty. Any outstanding balance after September 10, 2021 will be subject to a 9% penalty.

If I am selling my home, who should apply for Home Owner Grant and pay the taxes?

The legal owner of the property should pay the taxes and claim the grant.

Property taxes are usually taken into consideration by legal representatives in a property sale transaction and are included on the Statement of Adjustments. If you cannot see an adjustment for property taxes on your Statement of Adjustments, contact the lawyer who drafted the document.

I received a tax notice for a property that I no longer own, what should I do?

If you have the information of the new owner, you should forward the information to them.

The property taxes were paid by the lawyer, what should I do?

Ask your lawyer if you are responsible for claiming the Home Owner Grant.

My spouse/relative passed away. How do I get the name on the tax notice changed?

Any changes to the ownership of a property, including name changes, should be filed at the:

Victoria Land Title Office
Suite 200 -1321 Blanshard Street
Victoria, BC V8W 9J3
Phone:1-877-577-LTSA (5872) or 604-660-0380

I didn’t claim my Home Owner Grant last year. Can I still claim it?

The Provincial Government allows an extension of time in which you can claim a grant for the prior year if you meet certain qualifications. This is called a retroactive Home Owner Grant and can be claimed directly with the Province. Visit for more information.

Why am I being penalized for not claiming my Home Owner Grant?

The amount of taxes owing is reduced by claiming the grant you are eligible for. Until you claim your grant the total remains outstanding. Grants have to be claimed each year that you are eligible.

I received a property assessment, but I think the value is too high. What do I do?

You can appeal your property tax assessment with BC Assessment prior to February 1. The City is not responsible for the value assigned to your property, therefore it has no authority to make changes to your annual assessment.

I think that my taxes are too high, can I appeal them?

Each May tax rates are set by Council and all residential properties are taxed at the same rate. As mentioned above, if you wish to appeal your assessment, please contact BC Assessment.

How do I decide where my principal residence is?

A principal residence is the place that a person makes their home and conducts their daily affairs. If a person owns more than one home, they can’t designate which one is their principal residence.

What is the tax year?

The tax year runs for the calendar year, January to December.

I have applied for my grant. When will I receive my rebate?

Rebates are not issued. Your taxes are reduced by the amount of the grant claimed.

Last updated: December 29, 2021

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.

Collection and use of your personal information

Information collected on this form is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Questions about the collection of your personal information may be referred to the Legislative Services Department at (250) 755-4405, or via email at Please also see our Privacy Policy.