Tourism Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Tourism Advisory Committee is to develop a new and comprehensive governance model for the delivery of tourism marketing/services in Nanaimo in order to optimize Nanaimo's competitive advantage. This structure will include a broad, integrated whole destination approach to include destination marketing/management, visitor services and engagement with stakeholders across all tourism sectors and community. Broadly tourism is defined to include leisure tourism, meetings & conventions, sport tourism, festivals & events, the accommodation sector and includes overnight visitation.
Key objectives of the Committee include:
- Engagement of a consultant/contractor to facilitate the process and identification of a governance structure for Nanaimo. A strong governance model lays the foundation for successful delivery of unified tourism services in Nanaimo.
- The review of documents and best practices pertaining to the governance of tourism organization, tourism and destination marketing/management trends and best practices of effective governance structures.
- Identification of a process for communication, collaboration and engagement of the broader tourism industry and the community.
- Identify strategic regional tourism partnerships with other stakeholders/partners in the context of governance and the delivery of collaborative tourism/destination marketing.
- Ensuring that all recommendations provided to Council include broad tourism sector feedback stakeholders from across the tourism sector and the community.
The membership of the Committee will consist of a minimum of nine (9) members.
All residents of the City of Nanaimo are eligible to apply; however, individuals with direct involvement in the tourism industry will be given preference for membership on this Committee.
In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the Committee will meet upon call of the Chair or the request of two Committee Members.
The following City Departments may provide support to the Committee in accordance with the City of Nanaimo Committee Operating Guidelines:
- Communications & Community Engagement
- City Clerk
- Other Staff as required
OBSERVERS & COMMUNITY SUPPORTS:
Non-voting representatives may be invited to attend the meeting specific to topics of shared interest. All regular meetings are open to the public.
Terms of Reference (PDF)
Membership List (PDF)