Distributed January 26, 2017 4:00 PM
City and Tourism Vancouver Island sign service agreement
The City of Nanaimo and Tourism Vancouver Island (TVI) have signed a service agreement providing destination marketing and destination development services. The agreement is set for February 1, 2017 through March 31, 2018 and is structured to run parallel with a soon-to-commence process during which an industry-led Tourism Advisory Committee will re-envision Nanaimo’s tourism model. Starting October 23, 2017 either party can terminate the agreement with two month's notice
Strategic Link: Governance Renewal - this priority guides Council and staff in renewing the City’s capacity to effectively and efficiently serve the residents of our community.
- Tourism Vancouver Island has a diverse capacity and long history in destination marketing and development. The City funding provided to TVI, totalling $470,500, will be leveraged considerably through partnerships with the tourism industry and the provincial marketing agency, Destination BC.
- In the coming weeks, members of the tourism industry in Nanaimo will be invited to provide input into the marketing strategies TVI is preparing.
- Over the course of the agreement, TVI will deliver a multi-faceted marketing campaign to inspire visitors to choose Nanaimo as a place to stay and enjoy for a vacation or getaway
- Acting on information contained in the City's Core Services Review, combined with a report prepared by consulting firm CBRE, on October 18, 2016, Council passed a motion to combine tourism and destination marketing with conference marketing services. The desired outcome will see a single entity created and tasked with overseeing all aspects of tourism via a common vision and approach.
- Similar to the agreement signed with TVI, the City is currently in the process of securing a service provider to operate the Visitor Centre, commencing in April.