Distributed January 19, 2017 11:00 AM
City reminds motorists not to leave valuables in vehicle
Motorists are being reminded that simple preventative steps can save them from being a target of a vehicle break in. If given the opportunity, thieves will take anything that's easy to see. Thefts from vehicles is a problem throughout the province, including Nanaimo. The ten most stolen items are:
1. Smart phones
2. Personal electronics - tablets, laptops, iPods, GPS devices
3. Work tools
4. Credit cards and identification
5. Stereo equipment
6. Cash and change
7. Car parts and accessories
8. Garage door openers
Strategic Link: Public safety is a priority for the City of Nanaimo
- Remove possessions from your vehicle - shopping bags, tools, spare change, electronics, brief cases, etc. Put anything that could tempt a thief in the trunk.
- Park in secure, well-lit areas near pedestrian traffic. Always lock doors and close windows, even if you’re away from your vehicle for just a few minutes.
- The most popularly stolen vehicles in B.C. in 2015 were (1) Honda Civic/CRX, (2) Honda Accord, (3) Ford F350, (4) Acura Integra, (5) Ford F-150XLT and (6) Ford F250 Supercab