This week, celebrate Rivers Day in Maffeo Sutton Park, Culture and Heritage are looking for nominations and grant applications and it's a packed week of Council and Committee meetings.
Read on to see what's in store for the week ahead.
Celebrate waterways during World Rivers Day on Sunday, September 22 in Maffeo Sutton Park. This event was founded by rivers advocate, and British Columbian, Mark Angelo to educate and bring awareness to the importance of rivers to our lives and encourage stewardship of these important waterways.
On Thursday, ready your sea legs during International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Visit Frank Ney's statue in Maffeo Sutton Park and say "Ahoy!"
Did you know?
The City of Nanaimo is currently seeking nominations for the 2020 Culture & Heritage Awards. This annual event showcases the outstanding organizations, groups and individuals in the arts, culture and heritage fields.
Are you a community non-profit or heritage organization? Applications for 2020 Culture and Heritage Grants are now open!
Are you a poet and want to share your work with the community? Apply to become Nanaimo's Poet Laureate for a three-year term. We are accepting applications until October 31.
Upcoming Community Events
- Friday, September 20: Park(ing) Day, 11:30 am to 1:30 pm, Commercial Street
- Friday, September 20: Free Skate Courtesy of Coast Capital Savings, 3:45 pm to 5:15 pm, in the Nanaimo Ice Centre
- Sunday, September 22: Story Walk, 10 am to 2 pm in the Beban Park Altrusa Playground
- Sunday, September 22: Rivers Day, 11 am to 3 pm in Maffeo Sutton Park
- Sunday, September 22: Lions FREE Skate, 11:30 am to 1 pm in Frank Crane Arena
Find a complete list of City-related events at www.nanaimo.ca/goto/events.
Plan your commute accordingly this week! The following routes will be affected by City construction projects:
Find more information on these and other City construction projects at www.nanaimo.ca/construction
It's a full week of meetings. On Monday, Council is in session with a special meeting in the afternoon and their regular meeting in the evening. Wednesday will see the Finance and Audit committee and the Health and Housing Task Force having meetings. And the monthly meetings for the Board of Variance and Public Hearing will take place on Thursday.
Visit the Meetings, Documents and Videos page on the City website to view meeting agendas and videos.
Stay up to date with Council and Committees by reading summaries of decisions made posted the day after their meetings.
Council Meeting Summaries
Committee Meeting Summaries
Meetings This Week
- Monday, September 16: Special Council Meeting, 2:30 p.m. in the Vancouver Island Conference Centre's Shaw Auditorium, 80 Commercial Street
- Monday, September 16: Regular Council Meeting, 7 p.m. in the Vancouver Island Conference Centre's Shaw Auditorium, 80 Commercial Street
- Wednesday, September 18: Finance and Audit Committee Meeting, 9 am in the Service and Resource Centre Boardroom, 411 Dunsmuir Street
- Wednesday, September 18: Health and Housing Task Force Meeting, 12:30 pm in the Service and Resource Centre Boardroom, 411 Dunsmuir Street
- Thursday, September 19: Board of Variance Meeting, 5:30 pm in the Service and Resource Centre Boardroom, 411 Dunsmuir Street
- Thursday, September 19: Public Hearing, 7 pm in the Service and Resource Centre Boardroom, 411 Dunsmuir Street
Here's a recap of City-related news from last week: