This week, in the absence of a fall/winter Activity Guide Parks, Recreation & Culture create new program web pages, REIMAGINE NANAIMO video is released and a creative contest kicks off. Read on to find out more!
City Service Updates
We have created a COVID-19 Recovery Plan to provide a path forward for resumption of City operations in a safe and economically viable way. The plan outlines four steps that the City will take toward a gradual, safe and measured reopening of municipal facilities and resumption of City services and programs that have been suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Corporate Services - Although our doors remain closed, the City is definitely open for business! Check out our Online Services page to see how we can help you.
Public Works - City staff continue regular garbage, recycling and organics collection. More information on recyclables can be found at www.nanaimo.ca/goto/recycle. If you participated in Reuse Rendezvous (August 8 & 9, 2020) please make sure to take any items left over back inside and/or donate.
Parks, Recreation & Culture Open - Playgrounds, parks, trails, skateboard parks, bike parks, pickle ball courts, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts, lacrosse boxes, sports fields and dog parks are open with a number of guidelines to follow. Beban Social Centre is available for facility rentals. One sheet of ice at Cliff McNabb Arena is open for rentals and summer programs.
Parks, Recreation & Culture Almost Open - Our recreation centres are getting ready to welcome you back!
Parks, Recreation & Culture Closed - Beban Pool remains closed.
Activity Guide Update
As COVID-19 guidelines continue to change and while we adjust to a "new normal" Parks, Recreation & Culture will not be producing a Fall & Winter Activity Guide. Instead, three Facebook event pages and three web pages Arenas/Pools/Community Recreation where information about opening, how to register, guidelines to follow and what new classes are being offered will be posted. Registration will start Aug 26, 2020.
Find more information about the City's response on the COVID-19 information page.
In Our Parks
- Our popular Playground Program has been extended until August 29. Kids 5-12 can join our team leaders for fun activities.
- The Water Safety Education Team will be at Departure Bay, Westwood Lake, and Mansfield this week, be sure to check the schedule!
- StoryWalk "Little Boo" is at Harewood Centennial Park until August 19.
Golden Bucket Prize Winner
Congratulations to Lesley Beaulieu, the grand prize winner for this year’s Golden Bucket challenge, winning a Kayak tour for 5 with Coastal Expression Adventure Center. Lesley has been playing this challenge with her sister, Alison Graves and mom, Barbara Graves (who is in her 90’s and still loves the hunt) since the beginning in 2014. “It did require 3 of us to track down and retrieve the question from the sticker. We asked my daughter to show us the Instagram clue, as neither my sister or I are on Instagram. Then one of us would search for the sticker in the park, and one of us would be back home, waiting for a text, so we could use the WiFi at home to read the QR code. It took some figuring out, but we managed to trump the technology and still play the game. Thanks for getting us out into different parks around Nanaimo." Lesley
Will Your Commute Be Affected?
Our traffic report is back! Here are a few projects that may affect your commute:
- Expect delays and traffic pattern changes on Bowen Road around the Kenworth Road and Labieux Road intersection while crews work on utility and corridor upgrades. Most work will be done at night from 7 am to 7 pm to accommodate daytime commutes.
- Also on Bowen, traffic will be reduced to single lane near Buttertubs Drive from August 4 to August 18 as crews work on the bus bays. Temporary Bus Stops will be in place at the far end of each location.
- Over on Bruce Avenue, expect delays between Deering Street and Weber Street this week as crews complete work there.
- Shores Drive will be closed to vehicle traffic from August 10 to 31. Pedestrian and cyclist access will be maintained at all times.
- Saywell Contracting will be working on Terminal Avenue and Rosehill Street on August 7 to 11.
- IWC Excavation Ltd working for the Regional District of Nanaimo, will be closing Shores Drive to vehicles from August 10, 2020 to August 31, 2020 to complete trail and roadworks. Pedestrians and cyclist access to Neck Point Park through Shores Drive will be maintained.
Upcoming Council and Committee Meetings
Council is taking a break from meetings for a few weeks. Their meetings and committee meetings will resume the week of August 31. Visit the Meetings, Documents and Videos page on the City website to view upcoming meetings, agendas and past meeting videos.
Council in Action
Missed what decisions Council made during a Special Council Meeting or a Regular Council Meeting? Don’t worry. We have you covered! Check out our Council Meeting Summary page for quick overviews.
In this set of short videos, Mayor and Council introduce the topics being explored and why it’s important for you to be involved in planning for Nanaimo’s future. Watch them now!
It’s time to get creative! Each week, we’ll post a new challenge and ask you to submit a creative response in the visual media of your choice – drawings, sketches, photos, paintings, digital illustrations, collages, videos, and more are all welcome.
Enter by posting your visual response on Instagram with #getcreativenanaimo or by visiting www.getinvolvednanaimo.ca. At the end of the contest all entries will be entered into a prize draw for your choice of one of the following: a Nintendo Switch OR $500 gift card to a local bike shop OR $500 gift card to a local grocery store. Visit www.getinvolvednanaimo.ca for contest rules and details.
Here is a recap of City news: