The Nanaimo Aquatic Centre closed on September 7 for its annual maintenance. Some of the work that was done included:
- maintenance on the pumps and plumbing,
- upgrading the leisure pool lighting to high efficiency LED,
- adding the net and slide to the boat play feature.
- painting the exterior of the building,
- painting inside the building,
- adding a new air handling unit for the leisure pool,
- adding new equipment in the weight room,
- rebuilding the dehumidification compressors on both air handling units for the large pool, and
- deep cleaning that can only be done when the pools are emptied of water.
While the weight room reopened on September 14, the pools will reopen on Monday, September 28.
Here's a snapshot of some of the work and results:
The Leisure pool without water.
A large crane was brought in to help crews get up to the ceiling to install the new LED lighting.
Crews painting the play boat feature.
Crews painting the grates that surround the main pool.
The Leisure Pool starting to be filled up. It takes a few days just to fill each pool.
The most noticeable change will be return of the slide and crawl net back on the boat play feature.