FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15 UPDATE
A reminder to all residents and businesses to clear the sidewalks of snow and ice in front of your property.
Parks and Recreation:
- All pool and arena drop-in and registered programs are running.
- All recreation facilities are open.
Crews continue to clear and salt walkways into City buildings, downtown sidewalks with City-owned properties (including Maffeo Sutton Park) and the E&N Trail as first priorities and as needed at this point. They also continue to clear additional sidewalks around City-owned facilities and parks - especially those areas in front of parkland where key walking routes to school are located.
Please phone 250-756-5200 for updates on registered programs scheduled. We attempt to notify all of our users know of program cancellations as we get information.
- Garbage pick-up is happening today for areas where it is safe and accessible. With the snowbanks piling up at the side of the roads, carts that are normally placed on the sidewalk are not often reachable. In these instances, please place your cart in the roadway in front your driveway.
- Stay up to date with your garbage/recycling collection route by downloading the Nanaimo Recycles app. You will receive notifications to your phone of interruptions in your collection schedule. Find the download links on the Garbage and Recycling Calendar page on the City website.
- Crews were able to clear all priority 1 routes and will be moving to residential streets throughout the day.
- Public Works is anticipating another round of snow as forecast by Environment Canada.The snowfall warning is for this afternoon and this evening. This area is expected to receive 5 to 15 centimetres of new snow. It may turn to rain Friday and into Friday evening. With the freeze we've experienced and with more freezing expected, many of the side streets and residential roads are still covered with ice or are hard packed which is very difficult to remove. Crews continue to do their best in these situations.
- Here is a new video about clearing catchbasins.
- Check out this new video which talks about plowing and salting in Nanaimo.
Program cancellations, facility closures and other snow-related content will be posted on the City of Nanaimo Facebook page and Twitter feed as well as on this webpage. Updates will also be communicated to local media sources.