We would like to wrap up the week with a special thanks to all the volunteers who contribute their expertise, time and talent to the community. In honour of National Volunteer Week 2020, we would like to recognize all the dedicated individuals, including many who help the City of Nanaimo!There are 18 active volunteer park ambassadors and many groups who participate in the Adopt a Park program working closely with Parks, Recreation & Culture. Over 130 volunteers from community and school groups participated in one of 47 work parties in 2019, helping our parks with litter pick up, invasive plant removal or tree planting projects. Ten groups helped with the Great Canadian Shoreline clean up as well. So far in 2020 we’ve had nearly a dozen work parties take place in our parks, plus over 35 broombusters are currently working hard cutting “broom in bloom". The City of Nanaimo’s Emergency Management department has a team called Emergency Support Services or ESS. ESS volunteers are the heart of disaster response and support Nanaimo residents when called upon during emergencies both large and small. A thanks also to the Coast Emergency Communications Association (CECA) Ham Radio Operators, Red Cross and St John Ambulance. The dedication and commitment from emergency volunteer services support the City of Nanaimo and residents every day.
We would also like to recognize everyone who participated in 2019/2020 spring and falls community cleanup program. Together, these groups worked with public works and cleaned 94 km along Nanaimo streets and parks!
- 1st Chase River Rangers/Girl Guides of Canada
- 1st Nanaimo Piper Pathfinders / Piper Rangers / Girl Guides of Canada
- 7-10 Club
- Christ Community Church
- Morell Sanctuary
- Nanaimo Canoe and Kayak Club
- University Christian Ministries
- Young Life
- Vancouver Island University Eco Club Finally, and importantly, thank you to the many individuals who contribute to a board or committee. There are many groups of people who meet regularly to assist with promoting social and political equity, developing design guidelines, overseeing the creation of a new economic development strategy and much more.