As we prepare for a new school year, the new Fall and Winter Activity Guide will arrive this week online and across Nanaimo.
Starting Wednesday, August 19, you can view the recreation and leisure programs the City has to offer online. Look for your copy in City recreation facilities, City Hall, grocery stores, libraries and malls across Nanaimo starting Saturday, August 22. Registration for Fall and Winter programs opens Wednesday, August 26.
There are some cool new programs on offer for the upcoming Fall and Winter such as:
- Little Explorers: This fun-filled program is designed for your preschooler’s first socialization experience. Activities include arts and crafts, story time, gym time, singing and free play.
- Musical Theatre: This youth program will work on vocal technique, acting skills, performing in a group and moving onstage with confidence while learning songs from hit movies and traditional and contemporary musical theatre. The course ends with a musical revue performance.
- Cheese Making Series: Learn to make a variety of cheeses from Mozzarella to Traditional French Brie.
- Aloha Hula: Bring Hawaii to Nanaimo by learning the basic steps of Kaholo, Hela, Kawelu and Uwehe.
- Winter Evergreen Containers: Create outdoor living winter planters filled with twigs, berries, moss and evergreen shrubs.
- 20-20-20: This is a total body stretch, strength and cardio class that incorporates 20 minutes of stretch, warm up and cool down, 20 minutes of strength work and 20 minutes of cardio.
- Vinyasa Flow Yoga: A fast-paced class that will get your heart rate up and get you sweating while flowing smoothly through a beautiful Vinyasa inspired yoga sequence.
- Trailblazers Light: This guided walking group is perfect for the beginner or for those wanting to get back into walking again. Enjoy fresh air and good company while exploring some amazing parks and trails in Nanaimo.
- Urban Commuting 101: Become a confident bicycle commuter. Learn bike control, effectiveness of changing gears, negotiating hills, rider safety, road rules and regulations, basic bike mechanics and more.
- Holiday Swim and Shop: Drop off your child for a swim with one of our lifeguards and get all your holiday shopping done. We will play games, make crafts and have prize give-aways!
- NHL Girls Only: This program is designed to introduce and develop the game of hockey for girls looking to play for enjoyment and fitness in an all-female environment. Participants will practice a wide variety of basic and advanced hockey skills.
- Sports Sampler - Adaptive: This program will provide teens and adults with cognitive disabilities the basic skills to play several sports, such as pickleball, basketball, indoor soccer and more.
If you haven't already, setting yourself up for online registration in advance makes it easier for you to register for programs online first thing on August 26. To get your own account for our online registration and for more information on programming and registration please call 250-756-5200.