You may have noticed work being done on the walkway in Departure Bay. Since the fall of 2015, crews have been working to improve accessibility and ensure safe and pleasant use of this recreation area. The project includes:
- levelling the grade along the seawall walkway,
- installing new pedestrian access ramps,
- installing new streetlights and walkway lights,
- improving parking and
- replacement of an old storm drain on Loat Street
Since work started,
- the underground work on Loat Street has been completed;
- all the old street lights have been removed and installation of the new lights is underway; and
- concrete work is nearing completion as all the new stairs and retaining walls have been completed.
The concrete walkway and ramps will be completed once the streetlight bases and conduit have been installed.
Below are some photos of the project's progress.
Construction is scheduled to be complete later this spring. Portions of the walkway and parking remain closed so please make sure to watch for construction barricades. For more information on this project and some history of the area, visit the project webpage on the City website.