ACTIVE LIFE is a monthly series in the Nanaimo News Bulletin contributed by City of Nanaimo Staff.
The signs of spring in Nanaimo are starting to show. The days are getting longer and photos of daffodils in full bloom have been taken and tweeted across the country. An even bigger clue that the season is about to change is the release of the City of Nanaimo, Parks, Recreation and Environment Spring and Summer Activity Guide at the end of February.
The process of producing the Activity Guide takes several months of planning and organizing. Program proposals are adjudicated, program space is allocated, instructors are hired, community events are planned and all the information is compiled into the booklet that we proudly produce twice a year.
It is very rewarding to be able to work on a project that allows the City of Nanaimo to offer a wide range of programs, special events and community information. Like with previous editions, the Spring and Summer Activity Guide is continuing to encourage you to “Take a Moment” to play, to learn, to experience, to discover and to move.
- PLAY – we offer hundreds of programs to encourage play, including a wide range of either registered or drop-in sports. We invite you to participate no matter what your level, and we work hard to create an inclusive environment.
- LEARN – because learning is a life-long endeavour, we offer you the chance to learn new skills in many different avenues from the arts and music to sports and fitness.
- EXPERIENCE – we work hard to create top quality programs and events that will give you positive experiences and have you coming back for more.
- DISCOVER – we love helping you discover a new talent or hobby. It’s never too late to try something new.
- MOVE – forget about “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Movement is the new medicine. With sitting classified as the “new smoking”, we encourage you to move. Join in on a fitness class, go for a swim or skate, or take a walk through one of Nanaimo’s beautiful parks.
The Spring and Summer Activity Guide will be available on Saturday, February 27 at our recreation centres, local grocery stores, malls and libraries. Please “Take a Moment” to pick it up and participate in the many recreation opportunities that are found within its pages.
For more information, please visit our website at www.nanaimo.ca or call us at 250.756.5200.