ACTIVE LIFE is a monthly series in the Nanaimo News Bulletin contributed by City of Nanaimo Staff.
I love this time of year. The days are longer and warmer, and there is an abundance of activities available through the City of Nanaimo to keep the whole family active.
- Water parks – Cool off at Departure Bay Centennial, Deverill Square, Harewood Centennial and Mansfield Park from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Playground program – Bring your children, ages five to 12, to various playgrounds for activities that could include games, arts and crafts. New this year are some evening dates from 3-8 p.m. so that all families have an opportunity to participate.
- Find the golden bucket – Get the weekly clue on our Facebook page, Twitter feed or website and then search for the bucket. Weekly prizes are drawn until Aug. 26.
- Westwood Lake – Lifeguards are on duty from June 28 to Sept. 7 at Nanaimo’s favourite summer destination.
- Family fishing day – Join us at Westwood Lake Park on Father’s Day (June 21), 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., to play games, make crafts, learn to fish and take part in a trout release.
- Family fun night and barbecue – celebrate the end of the school year with music, family activities and a barbecue on June 25, 4:30-7:30 p.m., at Departure Bay Centennial Park. Cost is $4.
- Canada Day – Entertainment and activities for the whole family held at Maffeo Sutton Park from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Concerts in the park – Join us Wednesday evenings from July 8 to Aug. 26, 6-7:30 p.m. Concerts are held at the Bowen Park Amphitheatre (July) and Maffeo Sutton Park (August). Lunchtime concerts are held Monday, July 13 to Aug. 24, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in Maffeo Sutton Park.
Check out the Community Events listings on our website.