The Office of the Chief Administrative Officer helps City Council set community priorities. These priorities improve City services for its citizens. It is also the primary liaison between staff, the Mayor's Office and Council.
This office guides staff advice to Council about issues considered by Council. The recommendations reflect facts, options and professional opinions relevant to Council decision-making. With direction from Council, the Office of the CAO manages policy implementation.
The Chief Administrative Officer is the senior staff leader. He or she provides leadership, control and direction to all City departments and operations.
This office makes and keeps relationships with:
- Snuneymuxw First Nation
- Nanaimo Port Authority
- Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Nanaimo Business Improvement Area
- Vancouver Island University
- Nanaimo Hospitality Association
- Nanaimo Economic Development Corporation
- various Provincial Government Ministries and Agencies and international governments.