Home Energy Assessment Rebate
Homeowners in the City of Nanaimo now have an additional incentive to save money and reduce energy consumption. For a limited time, the City will be offering a $150 rebate when they complete a home energy assessment that results in an EnerGuide rating for their home. In addition to the $150 rebate, homeowners who complete a follow-up assessment and can improve on the initial EnerGuide rating, can receive an additional incentive, up to a maximum of $200.
How to Receive Your Rebate
There are two Home Energy Assessment incentive types available to residents:
$150 Initial Home Energy Assessment incentive
A $150 incentive is available to residents and builders who have an initial Home Energy Assessment conducted by a certified energy advisor. For new construction, the initial assessment can be done at the building design stage. The completed application must be submitted to the City of Nanaimo within the 12 month period after the date shown on the receipt
- The initial Home Energy Assessment report, showing the EnerGuide rating
- Receipt for the initial Home Energy Assessment
Follow-up Home Energy Assessment incentive
Follow-up Assessments are eligible for $10 per point improvement in the EnerGuide rating 0-100 scale, or per 5 GJ/year reduction in the new EnerGuide rating Gigajoules per Year scale, to a maximum of $200.
- The follow-up Home Energy Assessment report showing the new EnerGuide rating
- The initial Home Energy Assessment (if not already submitted to the City of Nanaimo);
- Receipt for the follow-up Home Energy Assessment
Make sure to include the following information in your submission:
- Name of purchaser/homeowner
- Address of the project where the assessment is conducted
- Address to which your rebate cheque will be sent (if different)
APPLY ONLINE HERE
Submissions can also be made by mail or in person at the Service and Resource Building:
Home Energy Assessment Rebate Program
City of Nanaimo
Engineering and Environment
411 Dunsmuir Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5J6
How do I get a Home Energy Assessment?
Contact a licensed Service Organization who will send an Energy Advisor to conduct your home assessment. An Energuide home energy assessment typically costs $400 - $500 for an existing home and $475 - $700 for a new home, depending on size.
Book an Energuide Home Energy Assessment Now
The energy advisor will spend 2 to 3 hours during their assessment. For existing homes, they may ask about issues you may be having with your home and any renovation plans and priorities for improving your home. With this information, they will complete a comprehensive assessment of your home's insulation, heating system, air leakage and much more. For new construction, design drawings and plans can be provided to the energy advisor, who will review the designs and make recommendations on improving the energuide rating for the home.
The energy advisor will assign an Energuide rating for your home along with recommendations for improvements that are customized to your home. Along with your Energuide rating and label, you will receive a Homeowner Information Sheet and Energy Renovation Report.
Below is a list of companies that provide home energy assessment services that work in the City. This list is for information only and is not intended as an endorsement. If your company provides home energy assessment service but is not listed here, please contact email@example.com.
Other contacts for information:
Efficiency BC website
(rebates and incentives)
Natural Resources Canada: Energy Efficiency
Fortis BC Rebate
Fortis BC New Home Construction Rebate
BC Hydro Rebates
Terms & Conditions
- Incentives are available to residents working on projects in the City of Nanaimo
- Incentives are limited and will be distributed on a first come- first served basis. Assessments need to be submitted no later than 4 weeks after completion.
- Only one application per property.
- It is the participants responsibility to provide all receipts and reports to the City.
- The City may verify information provided by contacting the energy advisor, before issuing a rebate.
- The City reserves the right to refuse applications that are incomplete, inaccurate or otherwise does the meet the programs requirements.
- The City does not endorse any the services of any contractor nor any specific products and accepts no liability in the selection of materials, products and contractors performance or workmanship.
- It is the participants responsibility to meet all program requirements and comply with any laws, regulations, or by-laws regarding permits, codes, restrictions or inspections in relation to appliances, products or equipment installed.
- Energy assessors must have a valid City of Nanaimo business license in order to participate. More information is available at: https://www.nanaimo.ca/doing-business/business-licences/getting-a-business-licence
- The Home Energy Assessment Rebate Program may be amended, modified, or terminated based on funding limitations, or for any other reason, without notice.