The City of Nanaimo, in cooperation with the Regional District of Nanaimo, maintains an annual program to award civic grant funding to eligible non-profit organizations operating in the City of Nanaimo. There are three categories: Security Check Grants, Permissive Tax Exemptions (PTE) and Other Grants.
See Security Check Grants and Permissive Tax Exemptions for information on those grants.
Eligibility for Other Grants
- Large # of volunteers
- Registered non-profit society
- Sound financial & admin management
- Demonstrated financial need
- Accessible to large portion of community
- Other source of financial support
- Must be local in focus and comply with City of Nanaimo bylaws and policies
- Cash grant not provided if organizations receives a PTE or where the facility is provided by the City free of charge or reduced rate. Notwithstanding the above statement, organizations facing critical financial difficulties are eligible to apply for emergency funding.
Kind of Funding Provided for Other Grants
- Educational funding
- Emergency funding
- Capital grants on a matching basis up to a maximum of $5,000
- In-kind funding for facility rental
Deadlines for Other Grants
Although there is no official deadline, funds are limited and applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact the City’s Finance Department below for specific intake dates.