Please join the conversation about Nanaimo’s Downtown Mobility Hub as we identify priority improvements that will help create a downtown transportation network that is safe, inclusive, accessible, and interconnected to all the places we love. Drop by one of our upcoming Pop-up Events to review and discuss early issues, opportunities, and ideas:
- Saturday, April 27 @ Earth Day Celebration, John Barsby School
10 am to 3 pm
- Tuesday, April 30 @ Port Place Mall
11 am to 2 pm
- Saturday, May 4 @ Maffeo Sutton Park (near Lion’s Pavilion)
10 am to 2 pm
You can view the display boards of the pop-up events here
These conversations are an important first step in this Project, helping to confirm improvement priorities.
Can’t make it to an event? Please take a few minutes to complete a questionnaire about the issues being studied and ensure your key concerns are recorded. The questionnaire is now closed. Thank you for your participation.
The City of Nanaimo is progressing ideas for an improved Downtown Mobility Hub – the heart of our transportation network. Over the years we’ve heard many ideas about how you want to walk, cycle, take transit, drive, or park in the downtown. Now we’re working to link these ideas together and set priorities to get improvements into the ground. The Downtown Mobility Project will confirm the issues and ideas that are important to you and develop designs for building priority projects in the coming years. Join the conversation!
The Nanaimo community – through the OCP, Transportation Master Plan, Downtown Urban Design Guidelines, Terminal Nicol Re-imagined, Port Drive Waterfront Master Plan, and other initiatives – has created a vision for our downtown multimodal transportation network – one that is safe, inclusive, accessible, and interconnected to all the places we love.
Now it’s time to take concrete steps towards this vision. The goal of the Downtown Mobility Project is to identify and develop transportation projects to support a thriving downtown. To do this we need to:
- Confirm the issues, opportunities, and ideas we’ve collected through various past projects.
- See if there are any more ideas we need to consider.
- Discuss trade-offs and different ways we could approach improvements.
- Select design directions.
- Figure out what should be built first
We’d like your help. Please join us over the coming months to identify a set of projects that will move downtown Nanaimo into the future.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE?
- Attend a Community Event: Starting at the end of April 2019, we will be hosting a series of “Pop-ups” and public events in the downtown area. We’ll post announcements about events and locations here, as well as on Facebook and Twitter.
- Participate in a Questionnaire: Alongside upcoming community events, we will also have a questionnaire posted on this site and available at community events. Share your thoughts, ideas, and concerns.
- Sign up for Project Notifications: Send an email to DowntownMobility@nanaimo.ca with the subject 'Register to receive email updates' about upcoming events and announcements for the Downtown Mobility Project. Your email will be used only for updates about this project. We will not share your information.
- Email us: You can email us at any time at: DowntownMobility@nanaimo.ca
WHERE IS THE STUDY AREA?
The Downtown Nanaimo Mobility Hub focuses on an 800 m radius around the intersection of Terminal Avenue and Commercial Street. Some of the key destinations and focus areas are highlighted on the map below.