Colliery Dam Information
Thank you for visiting the Colliery Dam Information webpage. This webpage will keep you up to date with work that is being undertaken to ensure the lower and middle dams located in Colliery Dam Park meet required provincial dam safety standards.
The issue of how to address the identified risks associated with the Colliery Dams has been underway since October, 2012. For background information, dam safety standards, community concerns and different potential solutions, visit the Information Archive. Additional information can also be found in the left-hand Related Links sidebar column. Click on these links to learn about the Technical Committee, Emergency Preparedness Tips and Procedures, Reports and Studies, Presentations, Correspondence, Additional Q&As and Meeting Minutes.
For updates on recent decisions Nanaimo's City Council has made concerning the Colliery Dams, please click on the links below. Note: links are shown in chronological order with the most recent decisions at the top of the list.
- Update: Colliery Dams (March 19, 2015)
- Council agrees to more time to explore solution for Colliery Dam Park (February 5, 2015)
- Council provided update on Colliery Dam options (November 5, 2014)
- City to review additional studies to determine Colliery Dams remediation options (September 18, 2014)
- City releases final Colliery Dam Technical Report (September 3, 2014)
- City releases three additional Colliery Dam Technical Reports (July 30, 2014)
- Council receives update on work of the Colliery Dam Technical Committee (July 16, 2014)
- Update on Colliery Dams available on City website (March, 26 2014)
Please read the questions listed below.Having reviewed these questions, if you require any further information, please call 250-754-4251 and a representative from the City will speak with you.
When will a decision be made about the dams?
The objective is to have a permanent solution in place no later than 2015.
Who will make the decision?
The decision on a permanent solution for the dams will be made by City Council.
How much will it cost to deal with the dams?
The costs of the chosen method won't be known until the work of the engineers to develop an approved option has been completed.