Colliery Dams Information
Thank you for visiting the Colliery Dam Information webpage. This webpage will keep you up to date with work that is being undertaken to ensure the lower and middle dams located in Colliery Dam Park meet required provincial dam safety standards.
For updates on construction concerning the auxiliary spillway, please click here.
For photo updates on construction concerning the spillway, please click here.
The issue of how to address the identified risks associated with the Colliery Dams has been underway since October, 2012. For background information, dam safety standards, community concerns and different potential solutions, visit the Information Archive. Additional information can also be found in the right-hand Related Links sidebar column. Click on these links to learn about the Technical Committee, Emergency Preparedness Tips and Procedures, Reports and Studies, Presentations, Correspondence, Additional Q&As and Meeting Minutes.
Proposed Auxiliary Spillway
At its meeting held July 20, 2015, Nanaimo City Council unanimously voted in favour of a motion to proceed with the construction of an Auxiliary Spillway adjacent to the Lower Colliery Dam. The Auxiliary Spillway option was chosen from one of three options identified by the Province of British Columbia's Dam Safety Section's April 29, 2015, 'revised' Order requesting remediation of the Lower Dam.
The following images represent the auxiliary spillway, as it would appear completed in Colliery Dams Park.
|Click on each thumbnail to open full sized image in new window.|
For updates on recent decisions Nanaimo's City Council has made concerning the Colliery Dams, please click on the links below. Note: links are shown in chronological order with the most recent decisions at the top of the list.
- City Completes Cost Estimate for Colliery Dam Park Auxiliary Spillway (February 17, 2016)
- Colliery Dams Update (February 16, 2016)
- Colliery Dams Update (November 10, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (October 30, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (October 15, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (October 6, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (September 18, 2015)
- Construction of Colliery Dam auxiliary spillway set to begin week of Sept 14 (September 10, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (September 1, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Protest FAQs (August 25, 2015)
- City announces time line for construction of the auxiliary spillway (August 5, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (July 21, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (July 15, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (July 2, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (June 25, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (June 18, 2015)
- Colliery Dams - Auxilliary Spillway Options - May 28, 2015 (June 5, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (May 29, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (May 21, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (April 30, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (April 29, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (April 23, 2015)
- Colliery Dams Update (April 10, 2015)
- Update: Colliery Dams (March 19, 2015)
- Council agrees to more time to explore solution for Colliery Dam Park (February 5, 2015)
- Council provided update on Colliery Dam options (November 5, 2014)
- City to review additional studies to determine Colliery Dams remediation options (September 18, 2014)
- City releases final Colliery Dam Technical Report (September 3, 2014)
- City releases three additional Colliery Dam Technical Reports (July 30, 2014)
- Council receives update on work of the Colliery Dam Technical Committee (July 16, 2014)
- Update on Colliery Dams available on City website (March, 26 2014)
Please read the questions listed below.Having reviewed these questions, if you require any further information, please call 250-754-4251 and a representative from the City will speak with you.
When will a decision be made about the dams?
The objective is to have a permanent solution in place no later than 2015.
Who will make the decision?
The decision on a permanent solution for the dams will be made by City Council.
How much will it cost to deal with the dams?
The costs of the chosen method won't be known until the work of the engineers to develop an approved option has been completed.