Committees, Commissions, Boards
The City of Nanaimo Council establishes Committees, Commissions, and other advisory bodies as a way of obtaining advice, feedback and ideas from subject experts and members of the public. The Board of Variance and the Parcel Tax Review Panel are mandated by Provincial legislation to carry-out specific functions.
Members Needed for Select Committees
The City is looking for qualified residents to assist Council decision-making and help shape City policy by volunteering to sit as members on the following select committees:
- Community Planning and Development (at least seven seats available);
- Community Vitality (at least seven seats available);
- Nanaimo Youth Advisory Council (at least seven seats available);
- Parks, Recreation and Wellness (up to eight seats available);
- Public Safety (seven seats available); and
- Public Works and Engineering (at least seven seats available).
Members may sit on one committee at a time and need to be City of Nanaimo residents, unless the terms of reference specify otherwise. Terms of appointment are for one or two calendar years, at Council’s discretion.
If you are interested in volunteering on one of Council’s committees, please submit your completed application to Legislative Services by mail (455 Wallace Street, Nanaimo, BC V9S 4G3), email or hand delivery by noon, Monday, January 30, 2017. All appointments to select committees will be made by Council in February 2017 and applicants notified as to the status of their application by the City Clerk’s Office as soon as possible.
To help ensure membership on select committees represents the broader community, we are encouraging applicants of all ages, genders, neighbourhoods, racial origins, income levels and sexual orientation to apply.
To learn more about each committee’s mandate, eligibility requirements and time commitments, please review materials in the section below.
Terms of Reference and Meeting Dates:
Committee Reports and Appointments
- Council Select Committees Report - 2016-NOV-28
- Council Select Committees Presentation - 2016-NOV-28
- Committee Structure Report - 2016-JUL-11
- Committee Presentation - 2016-JUL-11
- Council Advisory Committees and Commissions - 2015-MAR-02
External Boads and Liason
- Regional District of Nanaimo
- Vancouver Island Regional Library Board
- Municipal Insurance Association of BC
- Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce
- Nanaimo Airport Commission
- Nanaimo Port Authority/City Liaison Committee
- Snuneymuxw First Nations Liaison Committee
- Protocol Agreement Working Group Tripartite (Port of Nanaimo, City, SFN) Liaison Committee