Dogs in Parks & Trails
Dog Off-Leash Parks in Nanaimo:
Parks, Recreation and Culture recognize the importance of dogs to residents by providing twelve dog off-leash parks. These off-leash parks are a safe way to exercise your best friend while socializing with other dog owners.
Dog off-leash parks have specific areas and times for dogs to exercise off-leash provided they remain under their owner's control and that owner's carry a leash with them at all times. With the exception of designated off-leash areas and private property, all dogs must be on a leash in the City of Nanaimo
Each dog off-leash park includes signage, a dispenser stocked with biodegradable doggie bags and a trash bin.
Dog Off-Leash Parks in Nanaimo:
- Beban Park (entrance off Labieux Road)
- Cable Bay Trail (R.O.W. Nicola Road)
- Westwood Lake - designated area is located at the back of the park by the power lines only
- Colliery Dam Park - upper dam trail only
- Beaufort Park - grassy portion accessed off the Chelsea Road parking & tennis area
- Diver Lake Park - the field will be off-leash between October 1 & April 30. During the summer this area will be utilized as a sports field.
- St. George Ravine Park
- Inveremere Beach Park (please check tide information to ensure tide is out far enough to enjoy this park)
- Forested section of May Richards Bennett Pioneer Park
- Wardropper Park
- Gallow's Point (Protection Island)
- Northfield Park (Parkway rest stop behind visitor info kiosk)
No Dog Areas
- Sports Fields
- Pipers Lagoon (from April 1 to October 31)
- Departure Bay Beach (from May 1 to September 30)
- Buttertubs Marsh
Dog Off-Leash Park Rules:
In addition to knowing when and where dogs are allowed off-leash, there are some simple rules for owners to follow:
- Make sure your dog is wearing a current license tag on their collar and that their vaccinations are up to date.
- Pick up after your dog and dispose of waste in a garbage bin.
- Do not let your dog jump on people.
- Female dogs in heat and puppies under 4 months are not allowed.
- Owners must be in attendance with their dog at all times within the boundaries of the dog off-leash area.
- Owners must obey all park rules and relevant parking requirements.
- Dogs must be on a leash prior to entering and upon leaving the off-leash area.
- Leashed dogs are not allowed in the off-leash parks, as this creates issues with leash aggression and dogs feeling they need to protect their owners.
- A maximum of two dogs per person in the dog off-leash area.
- Dogs that are deemed vicious and restricted breeds are banned from off-leash parks and must be leashed and muzzled on trails.
- Ensure you have control of your dog and are in sight of your dog at all times, whether on or off-leash.
- Owners are personally liable for any damages or injury inflicted by their dog.
- Children must be supervised.
- Pets must be under the control of the owner, and the dog must be in sight of the owner at all times.
- Choke chain collars are to be removed prior to entering a fenced off leash dog park.
A maximum fine of $500 can be levied against any person not complying with these responsibilities. Call Nanaimo Animal Control Services at 250-616-0233 to report infractions.
Important Links:Go to Top