Frequently Asked Questions
- What job opportunities are available at the City?
- Do employees of the City get preference over outside applicants in a recruitment competition?
- How do I apply for a position with the City of Nanaimo?
- How do I apply for temporary/casual employment?
- What information will I be asked to provide?
- Can I attach my resume?
- What if I don't have an e-mail address?
- What happens to my personal information?
- What if I have already created an applicant profile?
- How do I save my application?
- How do I update the information on my applicant profile?
- How do I know that you received my application?
- What if I forget my username or password?
- Can I copy selected information from another electronic application?
- I have applied on-line for casual/temporary employment and there is a new external posting I am interested in. Do I need to apply again?
- What should I submit with my application?
- If I am interested in several external postings with the City, do I need to submit an application for each posting?
- What do I do if I'm interested in a specific position or City department but no jobs are currently posted?
- Does the City accept general (unsolicited) resumes and how long do resumes stay on file?
- How can I find out about the status of the position I applied for?
- How will I know if I have been shortlisted?
- Does the City conduct testing?
- What will my job interview be like?
- When is a criminal record check conducted?
- I am a student looking for spring and/or summer work. Does the City hire students at this time?
- Does the City have practicum opportunities for students?
- Do I have to drop off a resume if I have already filled out the on-line application?
- Can I arrange to be notified when new postings are put on your careers website?
- How do I apply to be a Firefighter?
- Who can I contact for more information?
Current job postings can be found on our Job Postings page.
In accordance with the Collective Agreements, unionized permanent employees of the City are given first consideration for unionized vacancies. If there are no qualified internal applicants, the vacancy will be posted externally.
To apply for an external posting, applicants are to submit a resume and cover letter referencing the competition number specific to the posting by the closing date. Resumes will be received:
Human Resources & Organizational Planning
City of Nanaimo
455 Wallace Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5J6
By fax: (250) 755-4449
In person: City Hall, 2nd Floor, 455 Wallace Street
By email: email@example.com
To apply for temporary/casual opportunities, select Casual/Temporary Employment on the left hand menu and submit the on-line application form and select “Apply Here”.
You can login using a provider of your choice (Google, twitter, OpenID, Yahoo, FaceBook). This means if you have an account with one of these providers, you can login with an existing account. You can also choose to create an account with the City of Nanaimo.
Once you've done the initial login, you can login at anytime to update your account by using the same method of login as before.
You will be asked to provide personal information such as your name, address and phone number. You will also be asked to provide information about your education, skills and employment history.
Yes, at the end of the application you can attach a resume, cover letter, letter(s) of reference, certificates and other documents you feel are relevant to your application. The acceptable formats for attached documents include: pdf, doc, docx, odt, and txt.
Important: Only the application form is searchable, so please ensure that you provide as much information as possible in the on-line application. If your application is considered further, attachments will be reviewed.
You can set up a free e-mail address using many public websites such as Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo or others. These can be setup and accessed from any computer.
The information stored in your profile & application is housed on a secure server site located in-house behind our firewall. SIN's and birthdates are not collected as part of the application process.
If you have already created an applicant profile, simply sign in using the information you used to set up the profile and update your information as necessary.
At the bottom of the application, select “Apply”. If all of the required fields have been filled out correctly, then your application will be saved. If not, then a red error message will appear at the top of the screen identifying the fields that need to be completed in order to save the application.
Login to the on-line application by using the same information you provided the first time you logged in. You will then see the current information in your profile and will be able to update your information.
Once you have completed the on-line application and select apply, you will receive a confirmation message via email. You can also verify the submission of your application by returning to the on-line application and signing into your profile. At the top, you will see a blue box that identifies the date your application was submitted.
If you signed up using a City of Nanaimo account, click the City of Nanaimo logo under “Sign in using”, then select “Forgot your username or password?” You will be prompted to enter the email address or user name you used to sign up. Enter your email or username and select “Send Email”. Follow the link that is sent in the email, and enter a new password.
If you signed up using another provider, you will need to follow their specific instructions.
Yes, you can. You can copy and paste text information from your document directly into the appropriate fields in the application form.
Yes, when applying for external postings you must follow the specific application instructions for each competition. We do not search the casual/temporary applications when recruiting for external postings; therefore, if applicants are interested in external postings they will need to follow the specific application instructions.
Applicants should submit copies of any relevant qualifications pertaining to the position, such as:
- Post secondary certificates
- Computer courses
- Trades Qualification Certificates
- Current Driver's Abstract
Yes, every posting is considered separately.
If there are no current postings, applicants are encouraged to apply for casual/temporary employment through our on-line application. These applications are kept on file for six months.
You can apply for Casual/Temporary employment at any time through our on-line system only. These applications remain on file for six months. You can resubmit/update your application at any time. Please note: we do not accept hard copy resumes.
A document indicating the status of external competitions is updated weekly and posted on the Job Postings page under the current job postings.
We will contact you. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Testing may be required to verify qualifications and knowledge.
We conduct panel interviews, consisting of the department Manager, a Human Resources representative and sometimes other participants. We ask a variety of knowledge, situational, and behavioural-based interview questions. Interviews are typically 30 minutes to one hour in length, depending on the complexity of the position.
A number of positions at the City of Nanaimo require a criminal record check clearance. The posted job description would specify that requirement.
There are no student specific postings; however, students are encouraged to apply for temporary/casual employment.
Students are welcome to submit a request for a practicum assignment that includes program details, as well as practicum dates. If one of our departments has the capacity to take a practicum student, we would consider the request.
We do not accept hard copy resumes in an effort to be environmentally conscious. As well, on-line applications are searchable and updatable.
Yes, you can be notified of new postings by subscribing to our feed. At the bottom of the Job Postings page, select “Subscribe to future postings” and then select “Subscribe to this feed”.
Click here for information on the Firefighter Recruitment Process.
Human Resources & Organizational Planning