Personal Preparedness - GetSET for 7 days!
The City of Nanaimo is located within an active earthquake zone and has 21 other identified hazards that residents need to prepare for. In the event of an emergency residents and businesses need to be prepared to take care of themselves for a minimum of 72 hours but more realistically seven days. Preparing is simple and you have most items in your home already. Centralizing them into one location and developing a family emergency plan is critical. Prepare yourself personnaly and become part of the solution to community recovery in a major emergency event. Below is some information on how you and your family can prepare for a major emergency!
- Personal Preparedness - Make a plan, build a kit and be ready if a disaster hits Nanaimo.
- Severe Storms - What to Do?
- Power Outages - What to Do?
- BC Hydro has prepared some home outage preparation tips. In a Power Outage, Knowledge is Power
- Nanaimo Fire Rescue wants to remind you to be extra cautious when using candles for light in a power outage.
- Guidelines for Planning for Emergencies for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities
- Don't forget an important member of your family - your pet! The Emergency Planning for Your Pet information sheet gives concrete ideas on advance planning for your pets and their needs. The Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team has disaster response information for horses, birds, cats and dogs.
- Earthquakes - What to do? Is your family prepared?
- Great British Columbia Shake Out! Although this year's event is over there is great information to be found on the ShakeOut BC website. Drop Cover and Hold!
- Hazards - identified hazards that you need to be aware of
Go to Top