Green Bin Program
- City of Nanaimo Green Bin User Guide (updated March 5, 2013)
- Green Bin How-To Video
- Summer Tips for your Green Bin
- 2015 Green Bin Audit
Green Bin food waste collection service was expanded to include all households with City provided collection services in October 2011.
For more information on the Green Bin Program, please visit www.beyondcomposting.ca.
City of Nanaimo municipal crews provide both garbage and green bin collection. The City's contractor, BFI, provides collection of curbside recyclables. With the addition of weekly food waste service, garbage collection service changed to every second week. Garbage and recyclables are collected on offsetting alternate weeks. Food and kitchen waste is collected weekly with either your garbage or recyclables on the regular scheduled collection day. Scheduled collection days look like this:
- Week 1 = Food waste and Garbage
- Week 2 = Food waste and Recyclables
- Week 3 = Food waste and Garbage
- Week 4 = Food waste and Recyclables
- And so on, with the collection days advancing after a statutory holiday.