Each year the City of Nanaimo (City) undertakes capital improvement projects driven by growth, development, asset management, and other priority-based frameworks. As part of the City’s strategic planning process the 5-year Capital Plan identifies these projects and where possible combines those of similar scope and proximity to achieve economy of scale and a comprehensive product. There are several infrastructure improvements scheduled for construction within the Wakesiah Avenue corridor in 2020 and 2021 and as a result, these projects have been combined to create a comprehensive project.
The Wakesiah Avenue Corridor Plan aims to increase the safety and comfort for pedestrians, cyclists, transit users and motorists while ensuring that utility upgrades within the project area are completed in concert with the proposed surface improvements. The complete street concept will provide a comprehensive design that:
- Ensures comfortable and effective mobility for people of all ages and abilities;
- Improves safety, especially for those walking, cycling, or taking transit;
- Enhances public amenities in the corridor, make the streetscape more inviting, and provides connection to other trails and city facilities;
- Explores opportunities to integrate sustainable design, such as rainwater management;
- Identify frontage works for future development.
The plan will include a streetscape vision, improvements to pedestrian, bicycle, and transit facilities, green/sustainable roadway and landscape improvements, and transportation improvements to meet the needs of existing and future users of the corridor.
A survey was completed as part of the project’s public consultation process, thanks to all who took part in it!
Click the button below to access results of the survey:
Click the button below to access the interactive Story Map!
Click to access & swipe to view the proposed corridor changes dynamically.
If you have any comments or questions on the proposed improvements contact us at 250-754-4251 or by email at EngineeringInfo@nanaimo.ca.