In 2018, Nanaimo City Council endorsed the Nanaimo Affordable Housing Strategy (AHS). The AHS sets the priorities for the City of Nanaimo to address affordability across the housing continuum over the next ten years. The AHS includes the following actions related to the provision of adaptable and accessible housing in the City of Nanaimo:
- Following consultation with the development community and non-profit housing sector, propose minimum adaptable unit requirements for all new multiple unit dwellings.
- Evaluate the viability of offering incentives for developers to supply a higher percentage of adaptable units.
- Consider higher adaptable unit requirements for senior-oriented developments.
- Develop an associated bylaw to implement the adaptable housing policy.
- Promote financial assistance programs (e.g., Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) grant) for households to make modifications to their home for accessibility.
In 2019, the City of Nanaimo endorsed the Nanaimo Age Friendly Plan, which includes as an objective supporting the development of more attainable (affordable) and accessible housing for seniors in Nanaimo that are close to amenities. The Age Friendly Plan also recommends reviewing “how the City of Nanaimo considers accessibility to ensure it meets the needs of an aging population.”