The purpose of the Environment Committee is to offer innovative ideas and provide advice (information, options, and recommendations) to Council on climate change, green technology, energy efficiency, urban forestry, and other topics associated with environmental
sustainability in the City of Nanaimo.
The Committee’s focus areas will be the following:
- Work with staff to review the Community Sustainability Action Plan and identify initial actions the City can take in response to the City’s climate emergency declaration;
- Review and comment on existing or proposed bylaws and policies related to energy efficiency, climate adaptation, and the reduction of GHG emissions;
- Provide input into initiatives, pilot projects, and activities the City could participate in to show leadership in promoting energy efficiency, green technology, reducing GHG emissions, and adapting to a changing climate;
- Provide a community perspective on services, programs, events and capital projects related to urban forestry, natural parks (PRC-1 zone), and environmental sustainability;
- Foster public awareness, recognition, and support for a healthy and sustainable natural environment;
- Review and provide feedback on the Strategic Plan; and
- Other issues referred to the Committee by the Director, CAO, or Council.
To view meeting agendas and minutes please visit the Meeting Documents and Videos page.
Live stream video will become available once the meeting has started.
2022 Key Date Calendar
Terms of Reference
City of Nanaimo Official Community Plan
Community Sustainability Action Plan
Transportation Master Plan
Urban Forest Management Strategy
2019 - 2022 Strategic Plan