Public Works and Engineering Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to provide a forum for Council and Staff to seek input from the community and experts on subject matters regarding Public Works & Engineering. Participation of community members is of utmost importance.
The Committee’s purpose is to provide recommendations to Council on the following (in the context of Public Works & Engineering Water, sewer, storm, infrastructure, garbage, and fleet).
- capital priorities and planning;
- water management;
- environmental sustainability;
- asset management and financial sustainability;
- transportation master plan;
- community accessibility;
- relevant federal and provincial government policies and programs; and
- other issues referred to the Committee by Director, CAO, COO or Council.
These focus areas have been identified according to the following documents:
- Core Service Review
- current Transportation Master Plan
- Yearly Financial Plan; and
- 2016-2019 Strategic Plan.
The order and thus priority may change depending on changes to emerging issues as identified by the Committee.
The membership of the Committee will be as follows:
- a minimum of seven (7) members; and
- three (3) members of Council.
All residents are eligible to apply; however, an individual with the following skills and/or expertise may be given preference for membership on this Committee:
- member of the engineering consulting community, development community, contracting community, transportation community;
- broad-based perspective on community services and delivery of those services;
- accessibility; and
- environmental sustainability
If there are any City Grants related to the Committee the following process will take place:
- The grant application is received by the City.
- A Staff/peer review takes place to ensure the applications meet the criteria for a specific grant.
- The applications that meet the criteria are put on a list in order of relevance by Staff.
- Staff recommend recipients from the list provided for the grant to the Finance and Audit Committee for approval.
In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the Committee will meet upon call of the Chair or the request of two Committee Members.
The following City Departments may provide support to the Committee in accordance with the City of Nanaimo Committee Operating Guidelines:
- Engineering and Public Works
- Community Development
- City Clerk
- Chief Operations Officer
- Other Staff as required
OBSERVERS & COMMUNITY SUPPORTS:
Non-voting representatives may be invited to attend the meeting specific to topics of shared interest. All regular meetings are open to the public.
Key Date Calendar (PDF)
2018 PWE Key Date Calendar (PDF)
Terms of Reference (PDF)
Public Works and Engineering Committee Membership List (PDF)