Parks, Recreation and Wellness Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to provide a forum for the community to provide Council and staff input on creating and operating parks, recreation and wellness programs, services, and facilities that meet the needs of all of the community in a sustainable and dynamic way.
The Committee’s purpose is to provide Council advice and recommendations on the following:
- planning, development, and provisions of parks, recreation, and wellness services;
- coordination of parks, recreation, and wellness programming with partners;
- environmental stewardship of parks and sustainable operations in the context of parks and recreation;
- equitable access to parks, recreation and wellness services and facilities by all citizens;
- recommendations on applications for funding, and subsidies for recreation facilities; and,
- other issues referred to the Committee by the Director of Parks and Recreation, CAO or Council.
The membership of the Committee will have up to 15 members and will consist of the following:
- a maximum of eight (8) members at-large
- three (3) members of Council
- three (3) RDN (Electoral Area representatives); and,
- One (1) District of Lantzville representative
Note: Membership is dictated by existing bylaw; any changes require an amendment.
(Applies to members-at large) An individual with the following skills and expertise may be given preference for membership on this Committee:
- parks and park stewardship;
- active lifestyle and wellness;
- environmental stewardship; and,
- promotion of health
If there are any City Grants related to the Committee the following process will take place:
- The grant application is received by the City.
- A Staff/peer review takes place to ensure the applications meet the criteria for a specific grant.
- The applications that meet the criteria are put on a list in order of relevance by Staff.
- Staff recommend recipients from the list provided for the grant to the Finance and Audit Committee for approval.
In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the Committee will meet upon call of the Chair or the request of two Committee Members. Meetings will not be held in August or December.
The following City Departments may provide support to the Committee in accordance with the City of Nanaimo Committee Operating Guidelines:
- Parks and Recreation
- Engineering and Public Works
- Community Development
- City Clerk
- Other Staff as required
Key Date Calendar (PDF)
2018 Key Date Calendar (PDF)
Terms of Reference (PDF)
Membership List (PDF)